The General Service Medal 1962 was instituted in 1964 to supersede both the Naval General Service Medal 1915 and the General Service Medal 1918 (Army and RAF). The medal is issued with clasps which define the service for which the award is made. The medal is nickel plated with the obverse having the effigy of the Queen. The reverse bears the words ‘FOR CAMPAIGN SERVICE’ under a crown, all surrounded by a wreath of oak leaves.
The ribbon is purple with two outer stripes of dark green. Members mentioned in despatches for operations recognised by the General Service Medal 1962 were approved to wear a bronze oak leaf on the medal ribbon.
A total of thirteen clasps have been issued to date. Most of these are for British campaigns and operations.
The clasps most commonly awarded to Australians are
- Malay Peninsula
- South Vietnam (the South Vietnam clasp was awarded exclusively to Australian troops)