Shopping Cart

Call us toll free: 1300 4 GONGS or 08 6119 3790

HMAS Sydney in Korea

19 DEC 1951: today in the Korean campaign, HMAS Sydney completes a tour of operations off Korea’s west coast. Aircraft from Sydney left no operable railway lines in its area of operations, significantly disrupting enemy supply routes. Sydney commenced operations on 5 October 1951 under command of Captain D. H. Harries. On 11 October she flew a record 89 sorties, an effort bringing praise from American and British authorities, USS New Jersey stating that Sydney’s gunnery spotting was ‘the best she has yet had’.

On 25 and 26 October three aircraft were lost, the last involving a dangerous pickup of shot-down aircrew by the ship’s helicopter. Enemy infantry attempting to capture the aircrew were suppressed by fire from other Sydney aircraft.

Normal daily operations aimed at 54 sorties although this was often difficult to achieve on an axial deck carrier requiring a constant movement of aircraft around the deck, often in foul weather, especially as a freezing winter set in. In October, Typhoon Ruth caused damage to the carrier and the loss of aircraft.

While no match for Chinese jets, Sydney’s piston engine aircraft were invaluable for ground attack duties. Normally the Fireflies carried bombs and the Sea Furies rockets. Both types mounted four 20mm cannon.

Targets attacked included troops, gun positions and transport infrastructure. Sydney’s aircraft were credited with causing 3000 communist casualties as well as the destruction of 66 bridges, seven tunnels, 38 railway sections, seven sidings, five water towers, three locomotives, 59 wagons, 2060 houses, 495 junks and sampans and 15 guns.

They also carried out target spotting and reconnaissance, for which the two-seat Firefly was particularly well suited, as well as combat air and antisubmarine patrols around the carrier and her escorts.

Enemy anti-aircraft fire was the main danger. Sydney had 99 aircraft hit and nine were shot down. Casualties were three aircrew killed and six wounded.

After seven intense nine-day operational periods, Sydney departed for Australia on 29 January 1952. More;

Fast Worldwide shipping

Out of our warehouse in 72 hours

Easy 30 day returns

30 day money back guarantee

Medal specialists onboard

Consult our experts anytime

100% Secure Checkout

MasterCard / Visa / PayPal