The Australian Active Service Medal 1945-1975 was instituted for the purpose of according recognition to those who rendered service in warlike operations between 1945 and 1975.
The medal is nickel plated with the obverse featuring a Federation Star surrounded by the legend ‘THE AUSTRALIAN ACTIVE SERVICE MEDAL 1945 – 1975.’ The reverse has a wreath of mimosa surrounding a plaque showing the recipient’s details. The ribbon has a central thin red stripe flanked by stripes of yellow, pale blue, dark green and purple, these colours being representative of the ribbon colours of the Imperial awards previously issued for campaign service.
A clasp with the name of the theatre or action for which the award is made is issued with the medal.
A further award of the medal in another area is recognised by the issue of an additional clasp. Additional clasps are worn above previously awarded clasps, in order of date of receipt.
The following clasps have been issued for the medal: